Monday, February 9, 2009

The best sugar cookies you will ever make. Really.


Yes, I'm weird...I've been in a long, long search for the perfect sugar cookie recipe, and I've finally found it. These cookies are moist, chewy, and light. The roll out very well and don't spread when you bake them...perfect for holiday cookie baking!

The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies
via Allrecipes

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Directions
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.

**NOTES** I usually make a half recipe and get about 20 cookies. If I do that, I use the whole teaspoon of vanilla. I've also been known to leave the vanilla out and add a teaspoon of lemon zest. Mmmmmm...lemony...but I digress...

Today, we made some heart shaped cookies and sprinkled them with (what else?!?) pink sanding sugar. Too bad the girls didn't eat all of their dinner. Oh well, more cookies for me!


Oh and for those of you who are wondering...it's called working out. At a gym. And chasing two crazy children (and usually, some of their friends). So I'm eating all of the cookies I want. :P

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I'm just jonesing for some sugar, but those cookies look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete