Wednesday, April 22, 2009

stewing

The sun has been shining, the birds have been chirping...but still, I've got a lot on my mind.

Time for some cooking and baking!

I've had a craving for stewed prunes for a while....citrusy, syrupy, spicey, delicious with some nice thick yogurt. They make the house smell divine while they are cooking too.

Here's how to make some:


Thinly slice an orange (or lemon, or tangerine). Add it to a pot with 1 pound of pitted prunes and 1 cinnamon stick. Cover with water, simmer for about 45 minutes, or until the citrus and prunes are quite soft and the liquid has thickened. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to one week. I prefer them reheated, but they're not too shabby while they are cold.

We also made some of the World's Best Sugar Cookies. I got a bunch of tiny cookie cutters a while back, so we made a half batch and brought them to share with friends at the park. Mmmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment